Thursday, January 27, 2022

Reasons for Taking this class

Journalism History Class 

Why would a Media Production major take a journalism history class… for fun? 

    It’s the spring semester of 2022 at High Point University, and I’m taking a 2 credit journalism history class with professor Dean Smith. The class is called “Never Stay Silent,” and I chose to take this as an elective for a few reasons. 

    
    Professor Smith is a 1st Amendment scholar and most all our class recitations revolve around the 1st Amendment and our constitutional rights as American citizens. Freedom is a topic that gets me super excited, so it was a no-brainer to take this class and better educate myself on the rights of journalism.

    
    Having taken a prior course from Mr. Smith, I knew this class would be more of the same jarring facts of our world today. We are living in history, a time in which Free Speech is being squandered out of pure sensitivity. No one should ever have to alter their speech due to someone’s feelings, whether they like it or not. Yet, that is what people today want; more government, more censorship, and more control. How foolish. The media and Governments lie, and not everyone will give you the straight up uncensored truth as Professor Smith. 

    We’ve gone from a United America, full of ‘Ma and Pop’s’ and flourishing capitalism, to a day in which large corporations and corrupt billionaires control everything. And it’s happening right in front of us. I want to know and protect my/our rights, and I had a feeling “Never Stay Silent” would be a good class to learn more. 

    The following blog posts will contain more on these topics, notes on our class recitations, and reactions on information pertaining to the First Amendment today. This blog will be a place holder for my notes and my thoughts, should that be of any interest to you. I’ll save you from a semester tuition at High Point University, and keep you up to speed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

FINAL EOTO David Broder

David Broder  Journalism’s Modern Heroes  David Broder was born in Chicago Heights, Illinois in 1929. Upon receiving his M.A. in political ...